Physical Therapy for Sciatica in OceansideAugust 4, 2017
How a Physical Therapist Can Provide Fitness ProgrammingSeptember 1, 2017
Hiking is a great way to exercise while enjoying what nature has to offer. Even though hiking simply means walking long distances. A lack of proper preparation can lead to many different injuries.
The pain resulting from these injuries can be alleviated by a physical therapist. If you or someone you know is looking for a physical therapist near Smithtown or Oceanside click here.
The most common hiking injuries are:
- Blisters – A blister is a small pocket of body fluid that forms on the skin. When hiking these can be caused by extreme temperatures when hiking or excess friction/rubbing. Wear proper footwear and proper socks to avoid blisters.
- Ankle and Wrist Sprains – When the ankle or wrist turns too far outward or inward, a sprain occurs. Hiking in mountainous areas with jagged rocks or low streams with slippery ones can cause you to slip and possibly sprain you ankle. Be careful of where you walk.
- ITBS –Illiotibial Band Syndrome happens when your legs get overused without proper warm ups. Make sure to stretch properly and incorporate light exercise before a hike to avoid ITBS. There are licensed physical therapists in Smithtown, Oceanside, and all over Long Island that can help.
- Sunburn – Sunburns don’t usually come to mind when thinking of a hike. However, being outdoors for extended periods of time can cause the skin to blister and crack. Avoid sunburn by wearing a hat and a long sleeve shirt when hiking.
- Poison Ivy – Poison Ivy is always a threat when wandering outside, especially on hiking trails. Being able to identify the plant and others like poison oak is the first step to avoiding them. Other helpful tips include wearing long sleeve shirts and pants.
- Constipation – Constipation when hiking can be caused by dehydration, mental/physical stress, and a host of other issues. Make sure to bring and drink plenty of water when hiking.
For additional hiking tips, click here. The Physical Therapy Experience in Smithtown and Oceanside has experienced physical therapists that can help you with your hiking related injuries. Make an appointment today!