How to transition your running habits into colder weatherDecember 22, 2017
How physical therapy can help with your knee painJanuary 19, 2018
Have you ever had a headache so bad that is starts radiating into other parts of your body? Causing pain and stiffness in your neck, back, and arms? You may be suffering from a cervicogenic headache. This type of headache may occur gradually over time or occur as a result of an injury. An individual suffering from a cervicogenic headache may report an increase in symptoms with the movement of the head or neck and a decreased ability to move their head and neck from side to side.
Luckily for you, if you come for physical therapy near Kings Park today and visit one of our trained specialists at The Physical Therapy Experience, we can help you with your headaches with the use of physical therapy.
Symptoms of a cervicogenic headache:
- neck pain
- muscle tenderness
- tenderness over the joints in the neck
- shoulder/arm pain on the same side of the headache
- weakness and possible dizziness
Symptoms may increase with poor posture or prolonged positions. For example, sitting at your computer desk for extended periods of time. Cervicogenic headache and its associated symptoms are typically the result of stiff joints in the neck, soft tissue tightness/ trigger points and possibly nerve irritation.If you notice you are suffering from any of these symptoms, take some time to go for physical therapy in Oceanside or Smithtown for help.
Effective exercises for this type of headache include stretches and strengthening exercises.
Examples of Cervicogenic headache exercises
- Flexion and Extension bringing your chin to chest
- Lateral Extension (muscles on the side of your neck) bring your right ear to your right shoulder while keeping your shoulder still
- Rotation (muscles responsible for rotation) turn your head and try to look over your right shoulder
- Icing the muscles of the neck
If you find yourself trying these exercises at home and they are not working for you make sure to call and schedule an appointment for physical therapy near Kings Park today.